Launched in 1957, the celebrated Omega "Speedmaster" was the creation of Pierre Moinat, head of Omega's "creative" department, with case designed by Claude Baillod and the prototype made by George Hartmann. The watch was originally destined for "men who reckon time in seconds", i.e. automobile racers, athletes, engineers and scientists, the tachymetre scale engraved on the bezel allowing the calculation of speed at a glimpse, hence the name "Speedmaster.
This original "Speedmaster Broad Arrow" ref. CK 2915 has a 39 mm. water-resistant case with engraved steel bezel graduated to 300 km/h, its principle characteristics, the "Broad Arrow" shaped hands, and the calibre 321 movement protected by an anti-magnetic soft iron cap. Its dial showed some very distinctive features such as the applied metal "Omega" logo as opposed to the common printed version, the "Omega" signature in a different font, appearing smaller and thinner, the letters "O" and "G" almost oval in shape, and the simple "Swiss Made" below 6 o'clock, omitting the "T" designation.
In 1959, the "Broad Arrow" hands were replaced with "Alpha" hands and the engraved steel bezel by the version with black insert graduated to 500 km/h. It became reference CK 2998, the model worn by Walter "Wally" Schirra on his Mercury VII space walk.
Even before its conquest of space, the "Speedmaster" was and still is one of the most iconic watches in production. Introduced into the market in 1957, it can be considered the originator of the water-resistant sports chronograph watches. The most important improvement is unquestionably the tachymetre scale on the bezel as opposed to printed on the dial, hence rendering the dial more legible while simplifying the calculation of speed. In the years to come, this revolutionary feature was incorporated by most of the other watch manufacturers, notably by Rolex when introducing the famous "Daytona" model in the 1960s.
What makes this particular watch very special is that it has just returned from a full service at Bienne and comes with an archive certificate showing that the watch was made in 1957, making it one of the very first ones made & that it was sold to Argentina. It retains its original signed low profile crystal and the rare expanding bracelet.
The dial is 95%, the engraved bezel is 90%, whilst the case & movement are both 95%.
Width 38.5mm; Lug to Lug 47mm; Height 13.5mm. It takes a 19mm strap and the original expanding one still is fitted.